KSHFMA Program Chair Devon Kim has earned the Fellow of the Healthcare Financial Management Association.
As recognized industry leaders, HFMA Fellows act as ambassadors to the profession by raising the standard of practice through consistent participation in professional development activities and service to the healthcare finance industry. We asked Devon to give us some insight into her reasons for seeking certification and her experiences as a participating member…and to give us a look over the horizon to upcoming programs.
1. Why did you decide to become certified as an HFMA Fellow?
Being a certified member of HFMA shows my commitment to the importance of continuing education in healthcare finance. Passing the test is just the beginning! In order to keep your credentials, you must continue to educate yourself. With the ever changing healthcare landscape, I am doing that already! Also, all the folks I admire in HFMA are certified, too!
2. What do you enjoy most about being an involved member of The Sunflower Chapter of HFMA?
The network of shared knowledge (and shared experiences) is always working and evolving to help us all better serve patients.
3. What’s the news from the Program Committee?
The HERe Women’s Conference on April 27th is going to be outstanding! Serious education from amazing speakers on having difficult conversations (from a former Improv star), really how to handle Millennials in the workplace, yoga, technology, networking – and so much more! But, before that, we will look forward to seeing everyone in Topeka in December for the Quarterly Meeting and All Payers!
More about the FHFMA designation
Fellows can maintain their FHFMA designation by teaching courses, making presentations, publishing, participating in special interest groups or attending educational events.
Requirements for FHFMA® certification include:
- Current CHFP designation
- Five years total as a regular or advanced HFMA member (student membership does not count toward this total)
- Bachelor degree or 120 semester hours from an accredited college or university
- Volunteer activity in healthcare finance within three years of applying for the FHFMA designation, including one of the following:
◦ Earn the Follmer Bronze Award by earning 25 Founders points for HFMA volunteer activity
◦ Volunteer in your HFMA chapter and earn two Founders points for two consecutive years
◦ Volunteer service for two of the past three years in a healthcare industry organization